Friday, June 3, 2016

#WritersLife: Beautiful moments



Life is full of beautiful moments. Sometimes those moments involve people, events, or places. Sometimes they involve beliefs, emotions, and magic. And sometimes, those beautiful moments are all we have left after change.

I don't know who will be in my life 1 year from now. I don't know who will be by my side in 5 years or who I will enjoy dinner with in 20 years. I don't know if I'll even be around in 20 years, or in 5 years, or even this time next year.

But being grounded is what will stop me from relying too much on the who's in my life. I know what I want to be: an author, a Christian, a good friend. I know how I can get there: writing, believing, listening, laughing. I know why: because these are the things that have always been inside me, even before I knew what they were.

I don't know when certain things will happen, but timing is always out of our control. If we spend our entire lives planning, we will never get it right, because just like we can't control the when, we never have control over the people around us.

Sometimes we trust people who only know how to hurt us. Sometimes we love people who can't love us back. Sometimes we share our soul with someone who changes their mind. Sometimes, we wake up and realize that we're facing the world alone, and while we don't understand why we are, it's important to remember that these people don't have to control your life. That's all on you.

I know love is simple, it always has been. If you love someone, you care for them, protect them, listen to them, and spend as much time as you can with them. Love is never complex, but the people are. Just because someone says they don't love you back, it doesn't mean the love was wrong, just that they are the wrong person to be in your life.

I've spent a lot of time in prayer since January. Something I've learned from God is that even when He doesn't intend for someone to be permanent in our lives, He does intend for us to grow from the experience. He won't send someone you believe is wonderful just to hurt you later when they choose someone or something else. He does it to show you that as wonderful as you thought they were, you're even more so because you loved unconditionally and are still able to see the beautiful world around you.

Pain doesn't go away overnight, or in a week, or even in years. There may always be someone you think of and feel a pang of sadness, and that's okay. You can't control the who's that come into your life, but you can control who you will be and how others will view you. You know the phrase: if you want a friend, be a friend. If you want to be surrounded by great, caring people, be someone who is great and caring.

Do I think some people are stupid for making choices that take me out of their lives? Certainly. I know my worth, but I'm also grateful to know how they feel now rather than after I've invested 5 years in them. My time is valuable because I'm not guaranteed tomorrow. And if someone doesn't see how beautiful you are, be grateful you were able to see some beauty in them before they walked away.

I have a lot of stress in my life right now. I have health issues, an unemployment status, bills to pay, and family problems like everyone else, but not everyone will be able to walk your path with you even if you helped them walk their own. It hurts. I know. But you know what? Keep on helping people with their stresses because as badly as you need it right now, you'll come across someone who will be willing to help you too, and that one will be the one who chose to love unconditionally just like you.

Love others. Love yourself. Love life.

And above all, know that so many people already love you right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment