Friday, April 1, 2016

#WritersLife: Participating in Camp NaNoWriMo 2016

Amber, the Blonde Writer - #WritersLife

#WritersLife, where I talk writing in real life.

I decided to go out on a limb and sign up for Camp NaNoWriMo this April! You can find my camper's profile here.

For those who have been following this series, I've been working on a YA SF about parallel universes for a few months now. I wrote the draft during NaNoWriMo 2015, worked out a revised outline in January 2016, and have been rewriting the second draft since February.

Here's the thing: I'm only at 25,600~ words for the second draft. I planned on finishing between 60-70K words by March 31st. That's not going to happen.

Enter, NaNoWriMo! I love this community and have joined the Camp version for the first time. I set a goal of 45,000 words by April 30th, which would put my novel just at 70,000. If it needs less, then I'll stop before my goal.

Amber, the Blonde Writer - Camp NaNoWriMo 2016 participant


Camp NaNoWriMo 2016 Stats


Start: April 1, 2016
End: April 30, 2016
Daily word count goal: 1,500 words (same as my original revision goal)
Current word count: 25,600 words
Projected end count: 70,600 words
Projected cups of tea: 55-70 cups
Cabin: TBA

I'm hoping with the second draft finished that I can start looking at minor edits or changes I might want to make rather than piecing together most of the plot.

My problem started because 1/3 of the way into my first draft, I changed the voice to better match the protagonist. About halfway, I realized I wanted to incorporate more hidden plot points between the protagonist, the villain, and the mentor. Lastly, during the revision outlining, I knew some kind of romance was needed and used a character I wanted to save for later in the series and introduced him sooner. 

All of that changed the bulk of the draft. That's probably why the editing is sucking the life out of me.

For those who have participated in Camp NaNoWriMo, how do you like it? I'm so excited to see what cabin I get placed into!



Other posts you may be interested in:

No comments:

Post a Comment