Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Book Review: Tracked by Jenny Martin

Title: Tracked
Author: Jenny Martin
Series: Tracked #1
Genre: YA Science Fiction
Release Date: May 2015
Source: I borrowed a physical copy from the public library
Purchase from Amazon: Hardcover or digital copy

Goodreads summary:


On corporately controlled Castra, rally racing is a high-stakes game that seventeen-year-old Phoebe Van Zant knows all too well. Phee’s legendary racer father disappeared mysteriously, but that hasn't stopped her from speeding headlong into trouble. When she and her best friend, Bear, attract the attention of Charles Benroyal, they are blackmailed into racing for Benroyal Corp, a company that represents everything Phee detests. Worse, Phee risks losing Bear as she falls for Cash, her charming new teammate. But when she discovers that Benroyal is controlling more than a corporation, Phee realizes she has a much bigger role in Castra’s future than she could ever have imagined. It's up to Phee to take Benroyal down. But even with the help of her team, can a street-rat destroy an empire?

My review:


I loved this story! From protagonist Phee's wild personality and deep loyalties to her crippling youthful desires, she is a young woman I related to on so many different levels. I am also a car freak, but I have to say I cannot race like this chick.

I don't want to spoil too much, but I will say that there is not a tried and true love triangle which I have always disliked. I remember being in high school and not being able to find one guy who genuinely liked me, let alone two who fought over me. To me, it's not realistic, but Phee's hectic love life definitely is.

While I would have liked more racing scenes (I think there were about 6 total if I'm remembering correctly), I am also a sucker for heavy politics and this book delivered that right off the bat. I'm hoping there are some more car scenes and especially lingo in the sequel because it's hard to find good YA books about cars AND awesome female drivers.

Oh, and it's also science fiction, so all of this takes place on Castra, a planet that isn't Earth. I know. That's awesome. I loved it, and the setting descriptions are beautiful without being too flowery or time-consuming. Phee lets us relish in these jaw-dropping scenes before getting whisked away to a race track or traitorous meeting,

I wish Phee was my best friend in real life.

The good news is that it's only two months until the sequel comes out! I'm sure I'll survive. Maybe.

Oh forget it, I can't go that long without my beloved Cash! I need him back!!

Rating: 5 / 5 stars




Other posts you may find interesting:

No comments:

Post a Comment