Saturday, February 27, 2016

Book Review: Dorothy Must Die

Title: Dorothy Must Die
Author: Danielle Paige
Series: Dorothy Must Die #1
Genre: YA Retelling (Wizard of Oz)
Release Date: April 2014
Source: I borrowed from the public library.

Goodreads' summary:


I didn't ask for any of this. I didn't ask to be some kind of hero.

But when your whole life gets swept up by a tornado - taking you with it - you have no choice but to go
along, you know?

Sure, I've read the books. I've seen the movies. I know the song about the rainbow and the happy little bluebirds. But I never expected Oz to look like this. To be a place where Good Witches can't be trusted, Wicked Witches may just be the good guys, and winged monkeys can be executed for acts of rebellion. There's still a yellow brick road - but even that's crumbling.

What happened? Dorothy. They say she found a way to come back to Oz. They say she seized power and the power went to her head. And now no one is safe.

My name is Amy Gumm - and I'm the other girl from Kansas. I've been recruited by the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked. I've been trained to fight.

And I have a mission.

My review:


Amy Gumm has to kill Dorothy in order to put Oz back onto its normal axis, but these orders come from the Wicked Witches, so it boils down to who can Amy trust to tell her the truth about Oz and who is simply leading her on to do their bidding?

The idea that the Good Witches have gone Wicked and the Wicked Witches have banned together is awesome. I know, not a great word, but this book pretty much left me dumbfounded. The Wicked Witches are sometimes evil with good moments, while the Good Witches don't have a thread of good left in them. How else is this book supposed to sound except awesome?

Amy did start to get under a skin just a hair in the beginning because she questioned so much of everything in a very sarcastic tone that I've come to see in almost every protagonist of every YA novel ever written, but she mellowed out enough so that her true concern for the creatures of Oz overrode her snide comments half the time. For most readers, her sarcasm will be much appreciated.

The plot never slowed down, but in the moments it did, I wanted to pull my hair out over the romance. No, scratch that: I wanted to pull my hair out figuring out if there was a romance. Between Amy and Nox I didn't know what to think and by the end of the novel I still didn't know what to expect for the rest of the series!

Rather than just being a retelling where modern day characters take on the roles of old princesses and princes, this one includes both the original story line and characters as well as the new characters fighting toward a new ending. It's different and done well, and I've already started the sequel!

Rating: 5 / 5 stars



Other posts you may like:

No comments:

Post a Comment