Saturday, January 16, 2016

Book Review: The Heart of Betrayal (Remnant Chronicles #2)

Title: The Heart of Betrayal
Series: Remnant Chronicles #2
Author: Mary E. Pearson
Genre: YA Fantasy
Release Date: July 2015



Goodreads summary:

Held captive in the barbarian kingdom of Venda, Lia and Rafe have little chance of escape. Desperate to save Lia's life, her erstwhile assassin, Kaden, has told the Vendan Komizar that she has the gift, and the Komizar's interest in Lia is greater than anyone could have foreseen.

Meanwhile, nothing is straightforward: There's Rafe, who lied to Lia but has sacrificed his freedom to protect her; Kaden, who meant to assassinate her but has now saved her life; and the Vendans, whom Lia always believed to be savages. Now that she lives among them, however, she realizes that may be far from the truth. Wrestling with her upbringing, her gift, and her sense of self, Lia must make powerful choices that will affect her country... and her own destiny.

My review:

I have been a fan of Rafe from close to the beginning, so to have so many Kaden scenes irked me, but only because of my inner fangirl. The romance was forefront, but largely because it tied into the political agenda of Venda. As a dystopian reader, I love any excuse for politics. 

Venda itself was beautiful. I love how the city was arranged and how the citizens treated Lia (at least the good ones). I would have preferred just chapter POVs from Lia, Kaden, and Rafe however. While having Pauline was necessary to understand what was going on in Morrighan, those parts are the moments that dragged for me.

I appreciate that while the Vendans are nothing like other cultures, they still aren't savages in everything they do. Rather, everything is done though a logical and reasonable thinking. This logical thinking may not be the best in every moment, but the Komizar is easily one of the best villains I've read in a long time.

I rated this lower than its predecessor because of the final death of the novel. I loved this person, and I refuse to believe Pearson would have let this happen. I just hope the concluding book offers some saving grace or else Pearson is going to be hearing from me. 

Speaking of, the ending was a major cliffhanger, but I felt satisfied because it finally feels like Lia has a chance at being who she's meant to be. I'd love to go back to Terravin, but this new addition is good too. 

2 comments:

  1. I like Pearson, but the paranormal YA fantasy hasn't been doing very well in my middle school library. Will have to take a look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this one is very well written, but this series in particular seems to be very quiet compared to others. I have yet to read other novels by Pearson, so all my love and recommendations come from Remnant Chronicles.

      Thank you for stopping by! :)

      Delete