Tuesday, December 15, 2015

#WritersLife: Finishing the first draft of NaNoWriMo 2015 novel

Amber Morrison, the Blonde Writer
 
#WritersLife, where I talk writing in real life.

I am so excited to announce I finished the (complete) first draft of my NaNoWriMo 2015 novel!

The novel ended at 59,690 words, and for a YA SFF, it is seriously short. Fortunately, I was leaving myself notes during the writing process to remind me where I wanted to develop more or simply have the scenes carry out a bit longer. I also stumbled upon this magnificent blog post from the Ireland Writers Tour that had an ingenious way of outlining the current novel alongside the revised outline plan.
 
I can't wait to begin the revision process in January, but I am already writing down things I want to happen while the story is fresh in my mind.
 
I spoke with one of my greatest critique partners (CP), Eric, and he and I already discussed developing one of the characters more, focusing on the setting and world building, and strengthening the voice in the first 40 pages because it was at that point that I realized what I wanted the voice to be.
 
Those three focuses will be my main, well, focuses for the first round of revisions. Thank you again to NaNoWriMo for hosting a spectacular event! If you participate, you should definitely think of a way to donate back to them. And as a poor college student in my days, if money isn't readily available, continue to blow up social media to remind others to support this cause any way you and they can.

No comments:

Post a Comment