Friday, December 18, 2015

Mini Book Reviews: Winter and Oblivion


Since most of the novels I'm currently reading are sequels or end-of-series novels, I decided to clump short book reviews together to focus on specific things, namely whether I liked it and why, what I didn't like, and in the case of the final books, if I thought it concluded the series well.


Up first: Winter by Marissa Meyer (Lunar Chronicles #4)


Genre: YA dystopian/fairy tale retelling (it varies)
Release Date: November 2015

I am guilty of loving this woman and not seeing any faults in her writing (probably because there aren't any), but I will say her writing style is one I deeply admire. She writes for young adults, but she is skilled at not dumbing down the conversation. Basically, Cinder, Scarlet, and the gang speak like adults, but are controlled by raging teenage emotions, and this is an idea I think the majority of readers can relate to.

The novel is long at 800 some-odd pages, but the pacing only felt slow in a handful of parts. That was more of my fault because some characters bore me (sorry Jacin), but for the most part I loved how long it was. I wish there could have been more Scarlet and Wolf, so if Meyer wanted to write a four book series about only them, I would be the first in line.

Overall, the ending sucked because it ended. I normally feel like a book should end long before it does, but this one ends abruptly. I kept wanting more and more, and even though I was satisfied, I can only compare it to a holiday dinner where you're so stuffed you can't move, but you still want that last piece of dessert.

My rating: 5 / 5 stars


Up next: Oblivion by Kelly Creagh (A Nevermore novel, #3)


Genre: YA Paranormal
Release Date: July 2015

This series of Isobel, Varen, and Edgar Allan Poe captured my love for numerous reasons. The description of the other worlds is beautiful in its Gothic style, and the characters develop away from their pre-determined stereotypes. Not only that, but modernizing Edgar Allan Poe into something non-poetry readers can relate to is very original.

However, the pacing felt too slow for me. In the beginning, Isobel constantly reminded herself of why Varen was lost and whether she should go back for him or not, and it came out whiny. I can't remember if she sounded like that to me before, but it just felt like she was thinking the same thing over and over and I kept hoping she might become a Lost Soul so she could stop debating it.

The description, while beautiful, may have been a little much. At this point, we know what the other world looks like and how the characters look, so less description and more dialogue or action would be more than balanced.

The ending had a twist that had another twist, so that definitely helped pick up the pace and intrigue. I wish I could have loved this book as much as I did the rest of the trilogy, but even the satisfying conclusion didn't make up for my disappointments.

Overall, if you loved Nevermore and Enshadowed like I did, definitely check this out. You'll want to know how everything ties together.

Rating: 3 / 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment