Thursday, February 5, 2015

Book Review: Fairest

Title: Fairest: Levana's Story
Author: Marissa Meyer
Genre: YA Dystopian
Release Date: January 2015

                                                        Goodreads' Summary:

In this stunning bridge book between Cress and Winter in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles, Queen Levana’s story is finally told.

Mirror, mirror on the wall,
Who is the fairest of them all?


Fans of the Lunar Chronicles know Queen Levana as a ruler who uses her “glamour” to gain power. But long before she crossed paths with Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress, Levana lived a very different story – a story that has never been told . . . until now. 


My review:


So, I may not be able to provide a totally unbiased review for Fairest because let's face it, Meyer can do little wrong when it comes to writing in my eyes. However, there are secrets revealed that left me gasping and freaking out at work, to the fright of my coworkers, even though I knew what would happen in terms of Cinder, Winter, and the others. 

The story follows Levana's life from the day of her parents' funeral until the moment where Cinder nearly begins (give or take four years, I didn't really watch the math). The years show us not only the pain Levana has suffered through, but also the pain she inflicts on others during those years, things that I cannot find justified by the actions others did to her. 

Levana is a sad fifteen year-old girl who simply wants to find love, but she finds it in the wrong ways, much like her sister Channery does. Let me take a moment to say that Channery must be related to Maleficient because there is no goodness in her. Like, anywhere. The fact that Levana had a choice in who she became because of her twisted sister is what had me believing in her throughout the novel, but the villain for the Lunar Chronicles had to be formed at some point and by the end, Levana has already made her choice to be ruthless (as we already know from Cinder).

The book is one long scene, something that threw me off a little, especially because the novel is 220 pages. Granted, it didn't take away the focus, and everything flowed into each other like scenes in a movie. The story is never slow and illustrates more of Levana's mind than I ever wanted to know. The love is raw and something I could relate to in terms of passion, but of course Levana is only a teenager and never does anything right. 

I was rooting for Levana up until the story caught up with what we learned in Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress and realized she had changed for the worse. Fairest will have you rethinking everything you knew about Levana and still manage to bring forth that seething loathing. I'm still debating whether I feel pity for the person she becomes or anger because she let the cruelty of others change her. 

Overall, a great quick read for anyone needing something to get them through the waiting until Winter's release later this year. 

Rating: 5 / 5 Wonders

If you haven't picked up the book yet, you can find it in hardcover here or digital here

No comments:

Post a Comment