Saturday, January 24, 2015

Book Review: Snow Like Ashes + 2nd Book Release Date

Title: Snow Like Ashes
Author: Sara Raasch
Genre: YA Fantasy
Release Date: October 2014

                        Goodreads Summary:

A heartbroken girl. A fierce warrior. A hero in the making.

Sixteen years ago the Kingdom of Winter was conquered and its citizens enslaved, leaving them without magic or a monarch. Now, the Winterians’ only hope for freedom is the eight survivors who managed to escape, and who have been waiting for the opportunity to steal back Winter’s magic and rebuild the kingdom ever since.

Orphaned as an infant during Winter’s defeat, Meira has lived her whole life as a refugee, raised by the Winterians’ general, Sir. Training to be a warrior—and desperately in love with her best friend, and future king, Mather — she would do anything to help her kingdom rise to power again.

So when scouts discover the location of the ancient locket that can restore Winter’s magic, Meira decides to go after it herself. Finally, she’s scaling towers, fighting enemy soldiers, and serving her kingdom just as she’s always dreamed she would. But the mission doesn’t go as planned, and Meira soon finds herself thrust into a world of evil magic and dangerous politics – and ultimately comes to realize that her destiny is not, never has been, her own.





My review: 


Snow Like Ashes is Sara Raasch's debut novel, and the story of Meira was beautiful, tragic, and action-packed. She lives as one of Winter's refugees until she steals one half of the magical locket and is thrown into a life she never dreamed of. Between kings, princes, and fiery army generals, Meria must decide who she wants to be as well as who she really is before she has to prove herself to everyone around her.

Meira is a lovable character, but to me she seemed to act younger than sixteen in the early pages of the book and matured well beyond her years in the second half. Of course, war will bring out the best and worst of people, and that's most likely what happened to poor Meira. The most heart-wrenching part of the novel is when she constantly strives to impress and gain the affection of those who clearly will not show her any, although the reasoning for each person is drastically different.

Between Mather and Theron, there is no love triangle in my eyes. I loved Theron from the moment I met him, and if Meira doesn't end up with him I will be very upset! My preferences aside, the dynamic Meira has with Mather and then with Theron are so unique to each boy that it's easy to understand why she keeps them both around. Just like you can't help who you love, you can't help who your friends are (especially when they're as trustworthy as these guys).

The writing style is intricate for the fantasy setting, and each palace and new city is explained in such straight-forward detail that I could actually envision each scene. My imagination sucks in terms of forming pictures, but these impressions were great. While I would recommend this writing style for a young YA audience (13-17 years old), I enjoyed the novel and I'm an old 22. Whatever your preference, it's something you could keep in mind.

Snow Like Ashes is a great novel, and I recommend it for anyone who is a fan of fantasy or simply YA books.

Rating: 4 / 5 Wonders

You can find the novel in hardcover here or get a digital copy here. I can't wait to see what happens following that war-pounding conclusion! Speaking of conclusion...

Release Date for Snow Like Ashes #2


Ice Like Fire will release on October 13, 2015. You can pre-order it now from Amazon, which is what I will be doing very soon (as soon as my next paycheck comes in). We don't have an image yet, but as soon as it releases it will be plastered all over this blog!

If you've read it, link your review in the comment below or tell me why you're interested in reading it! Besides the fact that's amazing, of course. 

2 comments:

  1. I really can't decide if I want to read this book or not. From the synopsis I can't really say I'm intrigued. Still, I have heard so many great things about it. Oh well :) Great review on your part!

    Cucie @ http://cucie-reads.blogspot.no/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! And I enjoyed it, although I would say this is for a younger YA audience in terms of style and writing. If you love YA, you won't even see it, but if it's only certain authors or books, it might catch your eye. Of course, you can always read the first few chapters and see how you feel :)

    Thanks for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete