Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Book Review: The Kiss of Deception (Remnant Chronicles #1)

Title: The Kiss of Deception (The Remnant Chronicles Book #1)
Author: Mary E. Pearson
Genre: YA Fantasy
Release Date: July 2014



Goodreads' Summary:


A princess must find her place in a reborn world.

She flees on her wedding day. She steals ancient documents from the Chancellor's secret collection. She is pursued by bounty hunters sent by her own father. She is Princess Lia, seventeen, First Daughter of the House of Morrighan. The Kingdom of Morrighan is steeped in tradition and the stories of a bygone world, but some traditions Lia can't abide. Like having to marry someone she's never met to secure a political alliance.


Fed up and ready for a new life, Lia flees to a distant village on the morning of her wedding. She settles in among the common folk, intrigued when two mysterious and handsome strangers arrive—and unaware that one is the jilted prince and the other an assassin sent to kill her. Deceptions swirl and Lia finds herself on the brink of unlocking perilous secrets—secrets that may unravel her world—even as she feels herself falling in love.


My Book Review:



This book has been exploding in the blog universe and I can't believe I waited so long to read it! It wasn't chock full of romance like I feared, but the romance was innocent and sweet, which made it even more irresistible. Reading reviews, I thought it would be more of a love triangle and I am so pleased to say that it was not.

The book is nearly 500 pages, but it somehow never has a slow moment. Lia and Pauline's new life in the slow city of Terravin may bore some readers, but it made me feel like I was reading a story about a small town in Skyrim and I loved it! Even down to washing the dishes the story pulled me in because everything felt real. The men are charming as in any fantasy novel. Kaden and Rafe are like night and day, and I vacillated between the two for the longest time until I realized more than halfway through which one was somewhat the good guy.

The story ends on a major cliffhanger (how could you, Pearson?!), but I recommend everyone read it regardless of the time spent waiting for the sequel. The writing is superb. It took me a while to get into the style because my nose has been stuffed in dystopian, and the change from super future to super past can be jarring but I fell in love immediately. Adult fantasy is usually stuffy and bland to me, but this YA stuff is brilliant!

Overall, a fan of fantasy will love this, and even if you're not a fan of romance (like me), I recommend giving it a go. It's not as tangled up as I expected, so you can enjoy Lia and her adventures through this beautiful land without getting bogged down with "I love you's". Amazing read!

Rating: 5 / 5 wonders

If you're interested, you can find find the physical copy here and the digital copy here.

2 comments:

  1. Whew! So glad it doesn't have a love triangle conflict! I was worried because of the reviews it gotten. But now I'm rest assured! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a little hesitant too, but the novel breaks off from that early on. I'm glad the main character understands that talking to two guys at once never works out well! You should definitely read it :)

    ReplyDelete