Thursday, November 27, 2014

Why I Write: Thankfulness

In honor of Thanksgiving, I am giving thanks to the writing in my life.


I am thankful for my writing passion being so strong that I actually like working on weekends and holidays.

I am thankful for my parents who encouraged me to write even though they rarely read.


I am thankful for friends who listen to my endless ideas for novels, TV shows, and movies without ever looking bored.


I am thankful for my First Fan who motivated me to write every day and to stop reading and get writing, NOW!!!


I am thankful for my list of peer reviewers who never tell me that they’re too busy: Eric (okay, so there’s just one, but I’m still thankful).


I am thankful for like-minded co-workers who want to read my terrible, unedited NaNoWriMo novels.


I am thankful to the creators of NaNoWriMo for forcing me to finish at least one novel each year.


I am thankful for my school instructors who pushed me to write without hesitation: Harry Martin, Lou Bufkin, Pam Hansen, and Mrs. Williams.


I am thankful for mentoring under Pamela Herron and receiving her wisdom, instruction, and patience.


I am thankful for Mrs. Bush noticing my detailed writing skills when I didn’t notice them myself.


I am thankful to the student who approached me after my poetry reading to tell me how wonderful she thought my piece was.


I am thankful for the opportunities to listen, meet, and receive advice from successful writers throughout the years: Philip Levine, Karla K. Morton, Kathleen Kent, Mark Rudd, and John Reynolds Gardiner.

I am thankful for my blog and my small band of loyal readers who have allowed me to continue my word spewing.


I am thankful for the large #writers community on Twitter and the constant support they give to all like-minded dreamers.


I am thankful for the opportunity to have studied creative writing in an academic setting.


I am thankful for my professors who told me not to expect to earn much of an income from my writing.


I am thankful for my three publications that I earned before I was 21.


I am thankful for my rejection letter from Random House, Inc.


I am thankful that the gift I have received from Him is writing.


I am thankful I was brave enough (or stupid enough) to plunge into a career in writing even though there are never guarantees.


I am thankful for all the opportunities, failures, and revisions I have seen with writing.

Most importantly, I am thankful to you, the Reader, for giving me a chance to make something out of this blind passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment